If you or a loved one has been charged with a serious crime in Texas, how can you figure out who is the right criminal defense attorney for the case? Many lawyers make claims about their ability to handle the most complex cases based on their experience, case results, and awards, but how do you know they are truly capable of backing up what they say?
Along with earning such accolades, Attorney Michael J. Crawford is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (TBLS). The Texas Supreme Court established the TBLS in 1974 to help potential clients find specialists in eight different areas in law—from criminal defense, personal injury, civil law, and bankruptcy law to family law, estate planning and probate law, oil and gas law, and real estate law.
The President of the State Bar of Texas appoints—along with approval from its Board of Directors— twelve board members, who are responsible for selecting qualified attorneys into the Texas Board of Legal Specialization Board Certification program. Less than 1% of lawyers in Texas are Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
The TBLS certifies legal specialists based on the following requirements:
- An active member who has a good standing in the State Bar of Texas
- Been a full-time attorney for at least five years
- Has at least three years of significant experience in the area of specialty
- Completed 60 hours of continuing legal education (CLE) courses—that are approved by TBLS—in the area of specialty
- Has a minimum of five qualified and vetted references
- Has experience documentation and information
- Fulfilled each requirement according to the TBLS Standards for Attorney Certification
- Pass an extensive, six-hour-long specialty area examination
The initial certification is valid for five years. A lawyer must reapply for this certification every five years.
Certified Criminal Law specialists know what it takes to handle complex and serious criminal matters. They have a comprehensive understanding of the state and federal criminal justice process.
In addition to being a Texas Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist, Attorney Crawford has been named to the Texas Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers since 2016 and considered a Top 100 Trial Lawyer for the United States by the National Trial Lawyers Association from 2014 up until now. He has handled more than 200 criminal cases that have reached trial and obtained a “not guilty” verdict in over 90 percent of them, which ranks him among the top one percent of practicing lawyers in the country.
For more information about our certified and award-winning legal services, contact The Law Office of Michael J. Crawford today at (903) 875-8500 and request a free consultation.